Pot Roast Brisket with Christmas Spices
30-40 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30-40minutes
- 1.25kg-1.3kg lean beef brisket joint
- 2 bay leaves, roughly broken
- 4 whole cloves
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 2 tablespoons demerara sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 100g dried, ready to eat figs, left whole or halved
- 600ml mulled wine
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 175g carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 450g leeks, roughly chopped
- 4 small red onions, peeled and cut into quarters
- Season the brisket and place in a large casserole dish. In a small bowl mix together the spices, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, figs and mulled wine. Pour over the brisket and mix to coat the joint. Cover, refrigerate and marinate for approximately 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Remove the joint from the marinade (do not discard), pat dry and brown on all sides. Return to the casserole dish with the marinade mixture and add the vegetables.
- Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer on the hob or in the oven for the calculated cooking time.
- Serve with the vegetables and creamy mashed potatoes.