Sticky Asian Brisket
A whole brisket joint slow cooked until meltingly tender with Asian inspired ingredients like oyster sauce, star anise and frresh ginger. Great for cold evenings to warm you and your tastebuds up. A slow cooker version of this recipe is also available.
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg lean brisket or silverside joint
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 star anise
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 150ml oyster sauce
- 3 tablespoons black treacle
- 150ml hot water
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface of the joint, taking care not to cut the butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands. Season.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown the joint on both sides. Transfer to a large flame/ovenproof casserole dish with a lid.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C,150°C, Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the casserole dish. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, then cover and cook in the oven or on the hob for 3-3½ hours.
- Shred the brisket into strips, toss in the sauce and serve on a bed of chilli noodles and steamed pak choi.