Rolled Shoulder of Lamb with Roasted Red Pepper and Black Olive Butter
Impressive roast that's quick to prepare and bursting with flavours from the black olive and red pepper stuffing.
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg lean, boned, and rolled lamb shoulder joint
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the red pepper and black olive butter:
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 50g pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 150g prepared roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint or thyme
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C, FAN, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Scatter the thyme leave on a large tray. Unroll the joint (reserving any elasticated meat bands) and coat each side with the thyme leaves. Leave skin side down and season.
- Prepare the red pepper and black olive butter; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and spread evenly over the lamb. Roll up and secure with butcher's string or elasticated meat bands.
- Place the joint on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, drizzle with the olive oil and roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time.
- Serve with roasted red peppers and baby aubergines.