Beef Damson Pots
- 450g/1lb lean beef braising steak cubes
- 15ml/1tbsp seasoned flour
- 30ml/2tbsp oil
- 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into big wedges
- 2 star anise
- 10 green peppercorns, optional
- 600ml/1pint damson or red wine
- 30ml/2tbsp damson jam
- 12-15 fresh damsons or red plums, stoned and halved
1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190ºC, 325-350ºF.
2. Toss the beef cubes, in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the meat and brown. Add the celery, onion, garlic and parsnips and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add star anise and green peppercorns (if using).
3. Mix the damson or red wine and the damson jam and pour over the vegetables, season, bring to the boil.
4. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole and cook for 1½ hours until meat is tender. 30 minutes before end of cooking time stir in the damsons or plums. Remove star anise before serving.
5. Serve with rustic brown bread to mop up the lovely juices and a bowl of seasonal vegetables.