Beef Hot-Pot Haggerty
This warming mid week meal using beef mince, onions, mushrooms, potatoes and cheese is cooked on one pan and browned under a preheated grill. A favourite for all the family.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons yeast extract
- 1 teaspoon gravy granules
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon oil
- Knob of butter
- 450g potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 50g Lancashire cheese, crumbled or grated
- Dry fry the minced beef, onion and the mushrooms, until browned. Add the yeast extract and thicken with the gravy granules. Sprinkle over the thyme.
- Heat the oil and butter in a 25cm large non-stick frying pan. Place half the potatoes and onions on the bottom of the pan. Add half the mince mixture and half of the cheese, then the final layer of mince and potatoes.
- Cover with lid or baking sheet and cook on a moderate heat for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Uncover and top with remaining cheese. Place the frying pan under a preheated grill and brown for approximately 5-10 minutes or until golden in colour.
- Serve immediately with braised red cabbage, beetroot, apple and gravy.