Beef Mini Roast with Porcini and Chilli
This tasty roast beef mini roasting joint is topped with a dried porcini and chilli paste. It's cooked in under an hour, cut into strips and tossed in a spring salad.
- 1 x 400-450g/14oz-1lb lean beef mini roasting joint (we used a mini topside joint)
For the Porcini and Chilli Paste
- :15ml/1tbsp caster sugar
- 10ml/2tsp salt
- 5ml/1tsp dried chilli flakes
- Pinch freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 75ml/5tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
For the Salad
- :1 bunch green asparagus, shaved with a swivel headed potato peeler
- ½ small cucumber, thinly sliced into ribbons
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 75g/3oz baby spinach or pea shoot leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
- To prepare the paste; put the sugar, salt, chilli flakes, pepper and mushrooms into a small blender and grind to a fine powder. Transfer to a small bowl; add the garlic and oil and mix to form a paste.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5, 190°C, 375°F.
- Place the beef on a chopping board, make several slashes over the surface and brush with the paste. Transfer to a roasting rack in a medium non-stick roasting tin and roast for 40-50 minutes. Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Remove the joint from the oven, transfer to a warm plate, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes, 20 minutes if time allows.
- To prepare the salad; in a large bowl mix together all the ingredients, season and stir gently.
- Slice the beef into strips, toss in the salad and serve.