Beef Yakitori with Udon Noodles
These quick Japanese style kebabs are full of flavour. Pieces of thin cut beef steaks threaded on to skewers with spring onions and brushed with a yakitori sauce. Made with: light soy sauce, sugar, Japanese rice wine and sesame seeds. The yakitori dish is served with udon noodles (mixed with mushrroms and pak choi) and is fantastic.
- 350g/12oz thin cut, picanha or sirloin steaks, cut into 2.5cm/1inch pieces
- 8 spring onions, topped, tailed and cut into 2.5cm/1inch sticks
For the Yakitori Sauce
- :60ml/4tbsp light brown sugar
- 120ml/8tbsp light soy sauce
- 120ml/8tbsp Japanese mirin or rice wine
- 20ml/4tsp toasted sesame seeds
For the Udon Noodles
- :175g/6oz Udon noodles
- 45ml/3tbsp sesame oil
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100g/4oz oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Soak 6-8 short wooden skewers in cold water for 20 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce: in a large bowl mix together the sugar, soy sauce, mirin or rice wine and toasted sesame seeds. Add the beef and spring onions.
- Cook the noodles according to the packet instructions. Drain and toss in 15ml/1tbsp of the sesame oil.
- Thread the beef and spring onions onto the skewers and cook under a preheated moderate grill for 2-3 minutes on each side, brushing with the remaining sauce.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the chilli, mushrooms and pak choi for 3-4 minutes, or until the pak choi softens. Add the noodles and any remaining sauce and heat for 2-3 minutes until the noodles are hot. Spoon onto a large bowl or plate.
- Add the beef yakitori on top of the noodles, garnish with the remaining sesame seeds and serve.