Steak Salad with Pastrami Spices and Buttermilk Dressing
- 2 thin centre cut, sirloin or rump steaks
- For the Pastrami Spices
- :10ml/2tsp sea salt
- 5ml/1tsp ground paprika
- 10ml/2tsp coriander seeds
- 5ml/1tsp black peppercorns
- 5m/1tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 10ml/2tsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 30ml/2tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Buttermilk Dressing
- :100ml/3½ fl oz buttermilk
- 60ml/4tbsp reduced calorie mayonnaise
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped chives
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 2 baby cos lettuces, roughly torn
1. To prepare the pastrami spices; put all the ingredients except the garlic and oil into a blender and whizz to form a rough powder. Alternatively, use a pestle and mortar.
2. Transfer the powder to a bowl and add the garlic and oil. Rub the spice mix over the steaks. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, or if time allows overnight.
3. Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking.
4. To prepare the dressing; in a small bowl whisk the buttermilk into the mayonnaise, then stir through the shallots and herbs. Season. Cover and chill until required.
5. Heat a large non-stick frying pan and cook the steaks for 1-2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a large plate, cover loosely with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes thinly slice.
6. Put the lettuce in a large bowl, add the steak and the dressing. Toss gently and serve with crusty bread.