Steaks with Chipotle Pesto
Thin cut steaks flash fried and topped with chipotle pesto made with garlic, toasted pine nuts, chipotle chillies, Parmesan and parsley.
- 4 thin cut steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- For the Chipotle Pesto
- 2-3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 100ml/3½fl oz sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz toasted pine nuts
- 3 dried chipotle chillies (available at larger supermarkets)
- 50g/2oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 30ml/2tbsp cold water
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Oil, for brushing steaks
- For the Corn Relish
- :100g/4oz sweet corn kernels, canned, fresh or frozen
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 45ml/3tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Juice of ½ lime
- 5ml/1tsp caster sugar
- To prepare the chipotle pesto; put the garlic into food processor or blender with the oil. Process until well combined. Add the pine nuts and chipotle chillies. Blend to a pesto consistency.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and add the cheese, water and parsley. Stir to combine, season if required and set aside.
- To prepare the sweet corn relish; if using fresh or frozen sweet corn cook in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, or until tender, drain and set aside to cool.
- Mix the sweet corn with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste and set aside.
- Heat a non-stick pan until hot. Season the steaks, brush with the oil on both sides and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Top with a spoonful of the pesto and leave to rest for 1-2 minutes.
Serve the steaks with the corn relish and griddled peppers.