Braised Faggots with Onion Gravy
For the Onion Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon plain or sauce flour
- 300ml ale
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- Dash Worcestershire or brown sauce
- 2 tablespoons dried mixed herbs
For the Faggots:
- 450g lean beef mince
- 100g lamb's liver, finely chopped
- 100g streaky bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped sage
- 50g fresh white or brown breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- Prepare the onion gravy; heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes. Add the flour and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in the ale, stock, Worcestershire or brown sauce, seasoning and dried mixed herbs. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- To make the faggots; in a large bowl mix together the faggot ingredients and shape into 12 golf-size balls.
- Transfer to a 1.2L rectangular dish or roasting tin and carefully pour over the gravy. Cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for 1½-2 hours. 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the foil and return to the oven.
- Serve with a creamy combination of mashed potatoes and spring onions.