Korean Style Beef Brisket
3 hours 30 minutes
- 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket joint
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sesame oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 600ml/1 pint good, hot beef stock
- 100ml/3½fl oz soy sauce
- 100ml/3½fl oz prepared barbecue sauce
- 30ml/2tbsp runny honey
- 30ml/2tbsp gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2 small pears, peeled, seeded and puréed
- Finely chopped spring onions, to garnish
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2, 160°C, 300°F.
Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
Place the joint on a chopping board and season with pepper all over. Brown the joint on all sides and transfer to a large ovenproof dish.
Add the remaining oil and cook the onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes until soft. Transfer to the casserole dish with the joint.
Add the stock, soy sauce, barbecue sauce, honey, gochujang and pears. Bring to the boil, cover and slow roast in the oven for 3-3½hours until the beef is tender.
Transfer the beef to a clean chopping board and `pull’ the cooked beef apart by securing the joint with a fork and shredding the meat with another fork.
Serve in Bao buns garnished with spring onions.