Roast Shoulder of Lamb with Stilton and Cranberry Stuffing
1 hour 40 minutes
To Cook Medium: 25 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: 30 minutes per 450g/1lb plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean boned and rolled lamb shoulder joint
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp prepared garlic paste or purée
- 10ml/2tsp olive oil
- For the Stilton and Cranberry Stuffing
- :50g/2oz Blue Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 50g/2oz fresh breadcrumbs
- 25g/1oz dried cranberries
- 25g/1oz chopped hazelnuts
- For the Glaze
- :30ml/2tbsp cranberry sauce, warmed
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4-5, 180-190°C, 350-375°F.
Place the joint on a large chopping board and unroll the joint (saving any elasticated meat bands) and coat each side with the garlic paste or purée. Leave the joint skin-side down and season with salt and freshly milled black pepper.
To prepare the stuffing; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together and spread evenly over the lamb. Roll up and secure with butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands. Weigh the joint and calculate the cooking time.
Place on a metal rack in a large non-stick roasting tin, drizzle with the oil and roast in a preheated oven for the preferred, calculated cooking time.
10 minutes before the end of the cooking time, remove the joint from the oven and brush with the glaze before returning to the oven for the remainder of the cooking time.
Serve the joint with roast potatoes and seasonal vegetables.