Roast Topside Beef with Fennel and Garlic Crust
A tasty topside roasting joint with a delicious crust made with crushed fennel seeds, garlic cloves, dried chilli flakes and olive oil. Perfect for all festive occcasions or just for a treat!
1 hour 15 minutes
To Cook Rare: Rare: 20 minutes per 450g plus 20 minutes
To Cook Medium: Medium: 25 minutes per 450g plus 25 minutes
To Cook Well Done: Well done: 30 minutes per 450g plus 30 minutes
- 1 x 900g lean topside joint
- 1-2 tablespoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- For the Rosé Wine Gravy:
- 1 tablespoon plain or sauce flour
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 300ml rosé wine
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface of the joint, taking care not to cut the butcher’s string or elasticated meat bands (if present). Season.
- In a small bowl mix together the fennel seeds, garlic, chilli flakes and olive oil. Spread the mixture over the surface of the joint.
- Place the joint on a metal rack in a large roasting tin and open roast for the preferred calculated cooking time, basting occasionally with any meat juices.
- Remove the joint from the oven, cover and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the gravy, spoon off any excess oil from the tin, leaving about 2 tablespoons of any meat juices. Place the roasting tin over a medium heat and sprinkle over the flour. Stir well with a small whisk or spoon, gradually add the stock and wine, and stir again, scraping the base of the pan to release any sediment.
- Add any meat juices from the platter, adjust the seasoning, if required and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until reduced to a well-flavoured gravy. Strain the gravy before serving.
- Serve the joint with seasonal vegetables.