Steak Salad with Aromatic Dressing
A seasonal summer salad with a Chinese twist using either barbecued flat iron, rump or picanha steaks, drizzled with an aromatic dressing of fresh root ginger, sweet chilli sauce, lime juice, caster sugar and fish sauce.
based on a 2cm steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 x 175g lean flat iron, rump or picanha steaks
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or olive oil
- 100g bean shoots, rinsed
- 150g pack baby sweetcorn, halved lengthways and blanched
- 1 small red onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 50g toasted pine nuts or unsalted cashew nuts
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped coriander
For the Aromatic Dressing:
- 1 x 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- Grated zest and juice of 2 limes
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce, optional
- To prepare the dressing; in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together, cover and set aside.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board, season on both sides with the salt, pepper and Chinese five spice powder then brush with the oil.
- Cook the steaks under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference. Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 2-3 minutes then slice on the diagonal.
- Transfer the beef to a large bowl and add the bean shoots, sweet corn, onion and nuts. Whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad. Toss gently.
- Pile the salad on to a large plate and serve immediately.