Flat Iron Steaks with Date Infused Barbecue Sauce
A fantastic barbecue recipe featuring a new beef cut - Flat iron steak. The barbecue sauce is made with onion, garlic,tomato ketchup,honey ,cayenne pepper, dates and lemon juice.
- 4 x 175g/6oz lean flat iron steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Date Infused Barbecue Sauce
- :60ml/4tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 60ml/4tbsp tomato ketchup
- 150ml/¼pint good, hot vegetable stock
- 15ml/1tbsp runny honey
- 5ml/1tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 stoned dates, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oil in a small saucepan and gently cook the onion and garlic for 10 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, stock, honey and cayenne pepper. Simmer for 5-8 minutes until thickened.
- Add the dates and simmer for a further 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat, add the lemon juice and seasoning, stir gently and set aside. Divide the sauce into two bowls.
- Place the flat iron steaks on a chopping board, season and brush on both sides with the contents of one bowl of sauce. Cook on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill for 3-4 minutes on each side (medium rare) or 5-7 minutes on each side (for medium). Cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with the fresh sauce and accompaniments.