Flat Iron Steaks with Olive Tapenade
Beef flat iron steaks are cooked with fresh rosemary or thyme leaves and served with a delicious olive tapenade made with olives, garlic, anchovies, lemon juice and sun-dried tomatoes. Perfect cooked on the BBQ or under the grill.
- 4 x 175g lean flat iron steaks
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Tapenade:
- 50g kalamata black olives, stoned and drained
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1-2 anchovies, drained
- 25g capers in brine, drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 25g sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained
- Juice of ½ lemon
- To prepare the tapenade; place the olives, garlic, anchovy, capers, thyme and tomatoes and lemon juice in a processor or blender and process for 1-2 minutes to form a rough paste.
- Place the steaks on a chopping board, season and sprinkle with the herbs on and oil on both sides.
- Cook on the steaks on a prepared barbecue or under a preheated moderate grill according to your preference (Rare -2 minutes on each side, Medium Rare - 3-4 minutes on each side, Medium - 5-7 minutes on each side). Cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with the tapenade and chunky chips.