Oriental Flat Iron Steaks
A delicious beef recipe,featuring flat iron steaks, with an oriental twist. It is ideal for the barbecue during the warmer months. A great alternative cut for those who like their steaks.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 x 175g lean flat-iron steaks
For the Oriental Marinade:
- 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 100ml medium sherry
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared minced ginger (available in jars)
- 3 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Freshly milled black pepper
- To prepare the marinade; in a large shallow non-metallic dish mix all the ingredients together. Place the steaks in the marinade mixture and coat well on both sides. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours, or overnight if time allows.
- Remove the steaks from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking to bring up to room temperature.
- Remove the steaks from the marinade (discard the marinade) and cook under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue according to your preference. Transfer to a warm plate, cover with foil and leave to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve the steaks with a broccoli and pasta salad.