Beef Damson Pots
A wonderful concoction using these rich and luscious flavours; damsons, wine and star anise - yum.
- 450g lean beef braising steak cubes
- 1 tablespoon seasoned flour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 stick celery, cut into chunks
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into big wedges
- 2 star anise
- 10 green peppercorns, optional
- 600ml damson or red wine
- 2 tablespoons damson jam
- 12-15 fresh damsons or red plums, stoned and halved
- Preheat the oven to 180-190ºC, 160-170ºC Fan, Gas Mark 4-5.
- Toss the beef cubes, in the seasoned flour. Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the meat and brown. Add the celery, onion, garlic and parsnips and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add star anise and green peppercorns (if using).
- Mix the damson or red wine and the damson jam and pour over the vegetables, season, bring to the boil.
- Transfer to an ovenproof casserole and cook for 1½ hours until meat is tender. 30 minutes before end of cooking time stir in the damsons or plums. Remove star anise before serving.
- Serve with rustic brown bread to mop up the lovely juices and a bowl of seasonal vegetables.