Beef Pilau Rice
A spiced meal in one using beef mince for a filling and flavoursome dinner.
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 1 medium onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 10ml/2tsp ground coriander
- 10ml/2tsp ground cumin
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground turmeric
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander or flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 225g/8oz basmati rice, rinsed
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 100g/4oz frozen green peas
- 850ml/1½pints good, hot beef stock
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 15ml/1tbsp toasted flaked almonds or unsalted cashew nuts
- Extra flat-leaf parsley or coriander leaves
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Heat a large, shallow non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince and onion for 10-15 minutes until brown. Stir through the spices and herbs.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish and add the rice, carrots, peas and stock. Cover, reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes. Stir through the lemon juice.
- Finish with toasted flaked almonds or cashews and herbs before serving.
Tips:This recipe works well with lamb mince too but replace the fresh coriander or flat-leaf parsley with fresh mint. If any pilau is left over, store in the fridge for up to two days. Shape into small patties, and pan fry with a little oil and serve with ketchup or a relish of your choice.
Nutrition: Per Serving