Beef Stuffed Peppers
This is a great recipe served as a starter.
- 375g/12oz lean beef mince
- 3 large red peppers
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- ½ small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 250g/9oz antipasti prepared roasted vegetables, roughly chopped
- 200ml/7floz tomato passata
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped oregano or 5ml/1tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 50g/2oz grated reduced fat cheese
- Fresh thyme sprigs, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C, 400°F.
- Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membrane. Place on a baking tray, drizzle with the oil and roast for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large non-stick frying pan and dry fry the mince with the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, until the mince is brown, breaking up any lumps with the back of a spoon.
- Drain any excess meat juices from the pan and transfer to a large bowl. Add the roasted vegetables, passata, celery, oregano and seasoning.
- Remove the peppers, add the filling, cover with foil and continue to cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and return to the oven for a further 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with the thyme leaves and serve immediately.