Caramelised Onion Steaks with Warm Chickpea and Watercress Salad
A quick but tasty midweek supper that is simple but full of flavour. Thin cut lamb steaks pan fried and topped with caramelised onion relish, served with a warm aromatic cumin, onion, chickpea and watercress salad.
- 4 lamb or beef thin cut steaks
- 4 teaspoons rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 onions, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 x 390g cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 x 80g pack fresh watercress leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared caramelised onion relish
- Extra rosemary leaves, to garnish
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick pan with the cumin. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until caramelised.
- Add the chickpeas and heat through for 1-2 minutes, remove from the heat, add the watercress and set aside.
- Heat a clean non-stick frying pan until hot, meanwhile; brush the steaks with oil, season and sprinkle the rosemary all over. Cook for 2-3 minutes (for medium) on each side. If you prefer your steaks less pink, cook for a further 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Top each steak with the prepared onion relish and serve with the salad and crusty bread.