Cheesy BBQ Beef and Basil Rolls
Serve with roasted or barbecued new potatoes and a crisp green salad.
- 8 lean thin cut sirloin or minute steaks
- 2 yellow peppers
- 100g/4oz block mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 50g/2oz pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- 16 large fresh basil leaves
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the grill or barbecue and cook the peppers for 20 minutes, turning occasionally until charred and black. Place in a plastic bag, seal and set aside to cool.
- Peel the peppers, core, deseed and cut into quarters, lengthwise.
- Place 8 steaks between a large piece of cling film or greaseproof paper and flatten with a rolling pin or meat hammer to about 5mm (¼inch) thick. Season.
- Lay the steaks out on a board and cover with a piece of grilled yellow pepper. Top with a slice of mozzarella, a few olives and 2 basil leaves. Roll up and secure with cocktail sticks or skewers.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the rolls for 2-4 minutes on each side. Halfway through cooking remove the cocktail sticks. Alternatively, cook on a prepared barbecue for 2-4 minutes on each side until brown.
- Serve with roasted or barbecued new potatoes and a crisp green salad.