Dad's Special Chilli
Authentic slow cooked spicy chilli made rich with dark chocolate and tender cubes of braising or stewing beef. Ideal for feeding a hungry family.
1 hour 30 minutes
- 450g/1lb lean braising or stewing beef cubes
- 15-30ml/1-2tbsp sunflower oil
- 450g/1lb onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml/1tsp ground cinnamon
- 5ml/1tsp ground cumin
- 5ml/1tsp dried oregano
- 15ml/1tbsp red chilli flakes
- 1 small red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 x 400g can red kidney beans
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato pureé
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- 100g/4oz good quality plain chocolate, broken into small pieces
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the meat, in batches for 4-5 minutes. Remove and set aside. Transfer to a large heatproof casserole dish and return to hob.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Stir in the spices and cook for 1-2 minutes. Add to the casserole with the remaining ingredients except the parsley, season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with potato wedges and courgettes.