Lamb and Vegetable Crumble
Who said crumbles had to be sweet! This savoury cheese crumble is the perfect topping for minced lamb.
- 450g lean lamb mince
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 425ml good, hot lamb stock
- 100g sweetcorn
For the crumble
- 75ml wholemeal flour
- 75ml plain flour
- 75g butter, cubed
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, or similar, grated
- 2-3 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C, Fan, Gas mark 4-5.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the mince in batches for 5-8 minutes until brown under a moderate heat.
- Add the celery, onions and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the rosemary.
- Stir in the plain flour, tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce, stock and seasoning. Bring to the boil and reduce the heat.
- Spoon into a 1.2L ovenproof dish or four 300ml individual ovenproof dishes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare the crumble, place flours into a large bowl. Rub in the butter, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the cheese and chives.
- Bake the crumble for 30 minutes until bubbling.
- Serve with new potatoes and green vegetables.