Lamb,Feta and Mint Stuffed Onions
1 hour 15 minutes
- 225g/8oz lean lamb mince
- 4 large onions (weighing about 275g/10oz each), peeled and left whole
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 50g/2oz raisins or sultanas
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped mint
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 50g/2oz Feta cheese, crumbled
- 50g/2oz couscous or small soup pasta shapes, cooked
- 125ml/4floz good, hot vegetable stock
- Place the onions on a chopping board and cut a third off the top of each.
- Reserve the tops and using a small spoon or melon baller remove the centre of each onion and finely chop*. Approximately 2 onion layers should remain in each onion.
- Carefully trim the root end of each onion and transfer to a medium ovenproof dish. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C/350°F.
- Heat a large non-stick pan and dry fry the mince with half the chopped onion for 5-10 minutes, or until golden.
- Add the cinnamon and seasoning and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the raisins or sultanas, lemon zest, herbs, Feta and couscous.
- Spoon the mince filling into each onion, packing tightly and position the reserved onion top alongside.
- Pour the stock around the onions, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the foil and continue to cook uncovered for a further 20 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Serve the onion and tops with a mixed winter chicory salad.
* Use the remaining onion in other dishes.