Lamb Sloppy Joes
Try with piquant one pot lamb dish with onion, garlic, mustard and green peppers in a tomato based sauce. Great served in a burger bun or as a topping for wedges or jacket potatoes.
- 450g/1lb lamb mince
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 small green pepper, deseeded and diced
- 350ml/12 floz tomato passata
- 60ml/4tbsp tomato ketchup
- 15ml/1tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp sugar (optional)
- 5ml/1tsp English mustard
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Dash hot chilli sauce, optional
- 8 small burger rolls (or 6 large ones)
- 6 to 8 cheese slices of your choice
- Heat a large non-stick pan and add cook the chopped onion, mince, onion, garlic and pepper. Cook over a high heat until brown, breaking up the mixture with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the passata, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, sugar (if used), mustard, and 100ml of water. Stir gently and simmer for 20 minutes over a gentle heat. Add the seasoning and chilli sauce.
- Warm the rolls and fill with the lamb mixture on each bread base, add a slice of cheese and finish with the remaining bread roll.
- Serve with potato wedges and a crisp green salad.