Meatballs with Redcurrant Sauce
Toss the meatballs in the pasta, garnish with the sage leaves and serve with a mixed green salad.
- 450g lean beef or lamb mince
- 10ml/2tsp dried oregano or marjoram
- 1 tablespoon pitted black olives, finely chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 600ml prepared light gravy or good, hot beef stock
- 2 tablespoons redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce
- 4 tablespoons double cream or crème fraîche
- 375g fresh or dried tagliatelle or fettuccine
- Freshly chopped sage leaves, to garnish
- In a large bowl mix together the mince, seasoning, herbs and olives. Shape into 12 meatballs. Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the meatballs in batches for 15-20 minutes, turning occasionally until cooked and any meat juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Remove the meatballs and keep warm. Leave about 1 teaspoon oil in the pan, add the gravy or stock and stir in the redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and stir in the cream or crème fraîche. Reduce the heat and simmer for 1-2 minutes before returning the meatballs to the pan with any meat juices.
- Toss the meatballs in the pasta, garnish with the sage leaves and serve with a mixed green salad.