Moussaka is a traditional Greek meal with the key ingredients of lamb mince and aubergines, topped with melting cheese that create a mouth-wateringly tasty family meal. The aromatic spices and herbs cooked with the lamb in this moussaka recipe give it a wonderful aroma and fantastic taste. There’s nothing quite like this classic dish. Try serving this with a Greek salad piled high with olives, tomatoes, red onion and topped with feta.
- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1.25ml¼tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g/4oz sweet corn
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 15ml/1tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 450g/1lb aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
- 1 x 200g tub Greek yogurt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25g/1oz Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and pan fry the mince, onion and garlic for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, sweet corn, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée and seasoning. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir through the parsley.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C, 350°F.
- Arrange half the aubergines in the bottom of a large ovenproof dish and spoon over half the mince mixture. Repeat.
- In a small bowl mix together the yogurt, egg and seasoning and stir in half the Parmesan. Pour over the dish and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until brown.
- Serve with garlic bread and a crisp green salad.
Additional Recipe Information:
Top tips for easy moussaka
Whilst the majority of the preparation for your lamb moussaka is dead simple, the béchamel (or white) sauce can be a tricky one to make. That is why we recommend a combination of eggs, yoghurt and parmesan to make a flavourful sauce that cuts your prep time right down.
Some moussaka recipes call for potato to be added to the dish. However omitting this ingredient cuts out another time-consuming part of the prep, making this a quick and easy moussaka recipe.