Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
Why not try our savoury take on bread and butter pudding? We use lean beef mince, chorizo, onions, mushrooms, a prepared cheese sauce and toasted sliced baguettes, sprinkled with grated cheese.
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g/2oz chorizo, roughly diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 100g/4oz mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 10ml/2tsp plain flour
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1 x 350g tub cheese sauce
- 1 fresh medium baguette, thinly sliced and toasted on both sides
- 50g/2oz grated cheese
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4, 180°C/350°F.
Heat a large shallow non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince, onion, chorizo, celery and pepper for 6-8 minutes until brown.
Add the mushrooms, stock, flour, thyme and seasoning. Stir gently, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, heat the cheese sauce and set aside. Spoon half the mince mixture onto the base of a large ovenproof rectangular dish then half the cheese sauce.
Arrange half the bread slices on top of the cheese and mince mixture.
Repeat the process, finishing with a layer of French bread slices. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with a crisp green salad.