Savoury Bread and Butter Pudding
Why not try our savoury take on bread and butter pudding? We use lean beef mince, chorizo, onions, mushrooms, a prepared cheese sauce and toasted sliced baguettes, sprinkled with grated cheese.
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 50g chorizo, roughly diced
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and diced
- 100g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 300ml good, hot beef stock
- 2 teaspoons plain flour
- 2 large sprigs fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 x 350g tub cheese sauce
- 1 fresh medium baguette, thinly sliced and toasted on both sides
- 50g grated cheese
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180°C,160°C Fan, Gas Mark 4.
- Heat a large shallow non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince, onion, chorizo, celery and pepper for 6-8 minutes until brown.
- Add the mushrooms, stock, flour, thyme and seasoning. Stir gently, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, heat the cheese sauce and set aside. Spoon half the mince mixture onto the base of a large ovenproof rectangular dish then half the cheese sauce.
- Arrange half the bread slices on top of the cheese and mince mixture.
- Repeat the process, finishing with a layer of French bread slices. Sprinkle over the cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve with a crisp green salad.