Sweet Lamb Pie
Serve with seasonal vegetables.
- 450g/1lb lean boneless lamb shoulder, leg or neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm/1inch cubes
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and grated
- 50g/2oz currants
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 50g/2oz ground almonds
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground cinnamon
- 2.5ml/½tsp ground mace
- 600ml/1pint good, hot lamb stock
For the Suet pastry
- :300g/10oz self-raising flour
- 150g/5oz light suet
- Pinch salt
- 175ml/floz cold water
- Place the meat in a large bowl and season well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the meat in batches for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and add the remaining pie ingredients except the stock.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F
- Spoon into a 900ml/1½pint ovenproof pie dish or 4 small ovenproof pie dishes and pour over the stock evenly.
- Prepare the suet pastry: In a large bowl mix together the pastry ingredients. Roll out enough pastry to cover the large dish or individual pie dishes.
- Brush the pie dish edges with a little water and top with the pastry. Lightly cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for 2 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking remove the foil and return to the oven to brown the pastry.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.