Sweet Lamb Pie
- 450g lean boneless lamb shoulder, leg or neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 cooking apple, peeled and grated
- 50g currants
- Juice of 1 orange
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 50g ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- 600ml good, hot lamb stock
For the Suet pastry:
- 300g self-raising flour
- 150g light suet
- Pinch salt
- 175ml cold water
- Place the meat in a large bowl and season well.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and brown the meat in batches for 4-5 minutes. Transfer to a clean bowl and add the remaining pie ingredients except the stock.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- Spoon into a 900ml ovenproof pie dish or 4 small ovenproof pie dishes and pour over the stock evenly.
- Prepare the suet pastry: In a large bowl mix together the pastry ingredients. Roll out enough pastry to cover the large dish or individual pie dishes.
- Brush the pie dish edges with a little water and top with the pastry. Lightly cover with foil and cook in a preheated oven for 2 hours.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking remove the foil and return to the oven to brown the pastry.
- Serve with seasonal vegetables.