Lamb Fidget Pie
Gets its name from the original shape of the pie meaning 5 sided - sometimes covered in potatoes rather than pastry.
- 8 lean lamb chops
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 450g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 2 eating apples, cored and sliced
- 3-4 fresh thyme leaves
- 150ml good hot lamb stock
- 1 x 500g pack shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat the oil in a pan and brown the chops on all sides.
- Meanwhile, peel and slice the potatoes and place in a layer on the bottom of an ovenproof pie dish. Add half the onions and apples. Top with the chops then the remaining onion and apple. Sprinkle with the fresh thyme and pour over the stock.
- Preheat the oven to 180-190°C, 160-170°C, Gas Mark 4-5.
- On a floured surface roll out the shortcrust pastry, big enough to fit the pie dish. Dampen the edge of the dish with a little water and place on top of the dish, trim off any excess pastry and press and crimp the edges to seal. Brush with beaten egg and cook in a preheated oven for 1 hour, cover with foil once golden to prevent burning.
- Serve the pie with seasonal vegetables.