Winter Pot Roast
Eat Garnish with parley and serve with cauliflower cheese.
1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 x 1.3kg/3lb lean brisket or silverside joint
- 2.5ml/½tsp cayenne pepper
- 30ml/2tbsp sunflower oil
- 50g/2oz streaky bacon, cut into cubes (or pancetta cubes)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small celeriac, peeled and cubed or 2 large celery sticks, chopped
- 300ml/½pint good, hot beef stock
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Place the joint on a chopping board and make several slashes over the surface taking care not to cut the butche's string. Season with salt and dust with the cayenne pepper on both sides.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and brown all over with the bacon or pancetta. Transfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C, 325°F.
- In the same frying pan add the garlic, onion, carrot and celeriac or celery. Cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes then spoon into the casserole dish.
- Add the stock, chopped tomatoes and bay leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook on the hob or in the oven for 2½-3hours.
- Garnish with parley and serve with cauliflower cheese.