Beef Steak with Summer Salsa
Try your summer steaks with a caper or strawberry salsa that celebrates summer flavours.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean beef rump or sirloin steaks
For the strawberry salsa
- :8 fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 5ml/1tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2.5ml/½tsp crushed black peppercorns
For the caper salsa
- :45ml/3tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 gherkins, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 15ml/1tbsp red wine vinegar
- 15ml/1tbsp lemon juice
- 15ml/1tbsp olive oil
- Cook the steaks according to your preference on preheated grill or barbecue.
- Meanwhile make salsa of choice. For strawberry salsa mix together strawberries, balsamic vinegar and black peppercorns. For the caper salsa mix together capers, gherkins, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Serve the steaks with either strawberry or caper salsa, new potatoes and a large mixed salad.