Coronation Lamb Rolls with Piccalilli Style Vegetables
- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- 25-50g/1-2oz sultanas
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 30ml/2tbsp curry paste of your choice
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 2 x 320g ready rolled puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, beaten
- 30ml/2tbsp sesame seeds
For the Piccalilli Styled Vegetables:
- 4 gherkins, sliced
- 1 x 5cm/2inch piece cucumber, sliced
- 75g/3oz cauliflower broken into very small pieces or florets
- 150g/5oz French green beans, cut into 2.5cm/1inch pieces
- ½ red pepper, deseeded and thinly sliced
- 60ml/4tbsp vinegar (from gherkin jar)
- 60ml/4tbsp honey
- 10ml/2tsp English mustard
To prepare the piccalilli; mix together the gherkins, cucumber, cauliflower, green beans and red pepper. Add the vinegar, honey and mustard. Mix well, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or overnight, if time allows for the flavours to infuse.
- In a large bowl mix together the lamb, sultanas, onion, coriander, curry paste and seasoning.
- Place each puff pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface. Cut into two long rectangles, lengthways. You should have four rectangles. Place a layer of the lamb mixture down the middle of each pastry rectangles in total.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6, 200°C/400°F. Brush one side of the pastry with the beaten egg, fold the other side of the pastry over to meet the egg washed side.
- Seal the edges with a fork. Glaze the top of the pastry with the egg wash. Cut 6 rolls from each length.
- Transfer the 24 rolls to 2 large non-stick baking trays, leaving plenty of room for each roll to rise. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- Serve the lamb rolls with the piccalilli.