Gastro Open Lasagne
A delicious beef mince open lasagne that suits all the family.
1 hour 50 minutes
- 675g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 large celery stick, finely diced
- 75g pancetta cubes or streaky bacon, cut into cubes
- 150ml full-bodied red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 1-2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 300ml/½pintncold water
- 1 x 300g pack (or 12) fresh lasagne sheets
- 1 x 60-100g bag rocket leaves
- 1 x 300g pack (or12) fresh lasagne sheets
For the parmesan sauce:
- 1 x 200ml carton half fat crème fraîche
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- 3 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Extra Parmesan, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan and cook the onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 5 minutes until soft, but not coloured.
- Add the mince and pancetta or bacon and cook until brown for 10-15 minutes, breaking down any meaty chunks with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Add the wine, tomato purée, nutmeg, tomatoes and water. Season and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered for a further 30 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the end of the ragu cooking time prepare the Parmesan sauce. Heat the crème fraîche, Parmesan and herbs in a small pan for 3-4 minutes under a moderate heat. Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook the lasagne sheets according to the packet instructions or for 3-4 minutes in a large pan of boiling salted water, keeping the sheets separate. Drain the sheets in a colander.
- Assemble the lasagne on warmed plates. Start with a lasagne sheet, a few rocket sprigs, the ragu sauce and the Parmesan sauce. Repeat with two further layers of lasagne, rocket leaves and ragu sauce. Finish with 1-2 tablespoonfuls of the Parmesan sauce and garnish with extra freshly grated Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.