Squab Lamb Pie
Devonshire Squab pie is nowadays usually made with lamb flavoured with apples, onions, prunes and spices and served with clotted cream.
- 450g lean lamb neck fillet, sliced
- 1 eating apple, cored and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 8 dried ready-to-eat prunes
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- 150ml good, hot lamb stock
- 500g pack prepared shortcrust pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Place the lamb in the bottom of an ovenproof pie dish with the apple and onion. Add the prunes and nutmeg. Pour over the hot stock.
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 150°C Fan, Gas Mark 3.
- On a floured surface roll out the pastry large enough to fit over the pie dish. Dampen the edge of the dish with a little water and place pastry on top of the dish, trim off any
- Serve the pie the traditional way with clotted cream (it really is delicious!), seasonal vegetables and potatoes.