Steaks with Mushroom Sauce and Cauliflower Puree
A great steak dish that is perfect for Valentines day, or to dine with someone on a special occasion. A variety of steak cuts can be use for this recipe (fillet,sirloin, rump, rib-eye or flat iron) and the cauliflower puree and mushroom sauce is to die for!
Based on a fillet steak 2-3cm (¾-1¼inch) thick
To Cook Rare: 3-4 minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4-5 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6-7 minutes on each side
- 2 lean fillet steaks
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 15ml/1tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- For the Cauliflower Purée
- :1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 vegetable stock cube, crumbled
- 25g/1oz prepared garlic butter, melted
- For the Mushroom Sauce
- :25g/1oz prepared garlic butter
- 225g/8oz chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 100ml/3½fl oz sweet sherry or good, hot beef stock
- 30ml/2tbsp freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley, optional
- To prepare the cauliflower purée; cook the cauliflower in a large pan of boiling water with the crumbed vegetable stock cube for 15 minutes, or until tender. Transfer to a food processor or blender, add the melted garlic butter and purée for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture is smooth. Season if required.
- For the mushroom sauce; melt the remaining butter in a non-stick medium frying pan over a moderate heat and gently cook mushrooms for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the sherry and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is reduced and syrupy.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan over a moderate heat.
- Put the steaks on a clean chopping board, season and brush with the oil on both sides.
- Cook the steaks according to your preference; transfer to a warm plate and set aside to rest for a few minutes.
- Reheat the purée, if required and place the steaks on top, spoon over the mushroom sauce, garnish with the parsley, if used and serve with seasonal vegetables.
Tips:If you prefer a beefier steak flavour the recipe works well with sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks too. Follow the cooking times below: Based on a 2cm/¾in thick steak: Rare: 2½ minutes on each side Medium: 4 minutes on each side Well done: 6 minutes on each side For flat iron steaks cook for: Rare -2 minutes on each side Medium Rare - 3-4 minutes on each side Medium -5-7 minutes on each side For best results with flat iron, cover with foil and rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition: Per Serving