Lamb, Tomato and Aubergine Pasta
A heartwarming, comforting midweek pasta dish that's great for all the family. Lamb or beef stir-fry strips dusted in dried mixed herbs and cooked in a tomato sauce with balsamic vinegar, diced aubergines or courgettes, ricotta cheese and cooked pasta shapes.
- 400g lamb stir-fry strips or thin cut lamb steaks, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 aubergine or large courgette, diced
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- 2 tablespoons good balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce
- 2 x 400g can chopped tomatoes with garlic
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 300g fresh or dried pasta of your choice (we used pappardelle)
- 50g ricotta or mozzarella cheese (broken into pieces)
- To garnish:
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill or flat-leaf parsley
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the onions, aubergine or courgette. Cook for 2 minutes. Dust the lamb strips with the mixed herbs and cook for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside. add the lamb mixture. Whilst the pasta is cooking, add the balsamic vinegar or Worcestershire sauce, tomatoes and sugar to the pan with the lamb. Season and simmer for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the lamb mixture and stir through the ricotta or mozzarella. Garnish with the herbs and serve immediately.