Meditteranean Brochettes with Salsa Rossa
Give your barbecue a real Mediterranean flavour with sirloin, rump or topside kebabs in a herby marinade with a delicious pepper and plum tomato salsa.
- 450g lean sirloin, rump or topside steaks, cut into 2.5cm cubes
For the herb marinade:
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano or thyme
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
For the salsa rossa:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium plum tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 100g prepared roasted red peppers in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 red or green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped, optional
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped basil
- Thread the steaks onto 4 small wooden skewers (previously soaked in cold water for 20 minutes) and transfer to a shallow dish.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and spoon over the brochettes and coat on both sides. Cover and marinate for up to 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Meanwhile prepare the salsa rossa, in a small bowl mix all the ingredients together. Season to taste, cover and transfer to a cool place.
- Cook the brochettes on a prepared barbecue or preheated grill for 12-16 minutes, turning occasionally until any meat juices run clear.
- Serve the kebabs on warmed Meditteranean or pitta bread with a spoonful of the salsa rossa.