A quick canape recipe using strips of beef sirloin or rump steaks, in an oriental marinade of ginger, soy sauce,sesame seed oil, garlic and orange juice
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 450g/1lb sirloin or rump steak, cut into thick, long strips
For the marinade
- :60ml/4tbsp light soy sauce
- 5ml/1tbsp sesame oil
- 15ml/1tbsp orange juice
- 1 x 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
For the dipping sauce
- :100ml/3½floz. prepared plum or sweet chilli sauce
- :10ml/2tsp sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- In a small bowl mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside.
- Thread the beef strips onto 12-14 metal or wooden skewers (previously soaked in water). Place in a shallow dish and pour over the marinade mixture. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for up to 1 hour.
- Cook the skewers under a preheated moderate grill according to your preference, turning occasionally.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and spring onions and serve with the dipping sauce.