Spiced Lamb and Marrow Stew
Our recipe duets have been designed for you to cook with a partner so that you can share the work (and the fun) with a friend. Our times are just a guide, so always make sure you keep your eye on what’s cooking as the speed at which you and your partner work has had to be estimated.
1 hour 20 minutes
- 675g lean lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
- leg or neck fillet, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 x 2.5cm fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 2 teaspoons Tabasco or chilli sauce, optional
- 25g plain flour
- 1.4L good, hot lamb or vegetable stock
- 900g marrow or squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 2 large tomatoes , peeled and grated
- 1 x 400g can chick peas, drained
- 225g green cabbage, rinsed and finely shredded
- Crusty bread, to serve
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3, 170°C,325°F.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Add the lamb and cook over a moderate heat for 3-4 minutes until brown, stirring occasionally.
- Add the onion, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the tomato purée, Tabasco or chilli sauce (if used) and flour. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover and r cook in a preheated oven or on the hob for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally Add the marrow or squash, tomatoes and chickpeas. Cover and return to the oven or hob for a further 30 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, season and continue to cook for a further 5-10 minutes