Wholemeal Pittas with Chilli Lamb and Hummus
This tasty wholemeal pitta recipe uses lamb leg steaks brushed with harissa paste and served with lettuce and a homemade coriander hummus.
- 4 lean, boneless lamb leg or chump steaks, cut into strips
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon prepared harissa paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 4 wholemeal pitta bread
- 6 iceberg lettuce leaves, shredded
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan. In a shallow dish mix the lamb and harissa together and fry for 3-4 minutes on each side until nicely brown but still slightly pink in the centre. Stir in the tomato purée and lime juice.
- Meanwhile blend the chickpeas, olive oil and 3 tablespoons of water in a food processor (or use a hand-held blender) until soft and smooth. Stir in the coriander and season to taste.
- Split open the pittas and fill with lettuce, add the lamb to each and top with a spoonful of the coriander hummus. Serve immediately.