Beefy Beef Tomatoes
An usual starter of stuffed beef tomatoes with beef mince, cooked rice, black olives, onion and fresh basil. Cooked in under 30 minutes.
- 375g lean beef mince
- 6 large beef tomatoes
- 50g cooked basmati rice
- 1 small onion or 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 25-50g black olives, roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons freshly torn oregano or basil leaves
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5.
- Slice off the stalk end of each tomato, set aside and reserve. Scoop out the seeds and the flesh, roughly chop and place half the mixture in a large bowl and stir in the cooked rice. Discard the remaining tomato flesh.
- Heat a large, shallow, non-stick frying pan until hot and cook the mince and onion for 7-10 minutes until brown. Stir in the black olives, herbs, seasoning and the tomato and rice mixture.
- Place the tomatoes in a large ovenproof dish. Season. Spoon the beef stuffing equally between the tomatoes. Top with the tomato lids, drizzle with the extra virgin olive oil, cover with foil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.