Easy Lamb Keema
- 450g/1lb lean lamb mince
- 10ml/2tsp rapeseed or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed or 10ml/2tsp garlic purée
- 5ml/1tsp minced ginger or 1 x 2.5cm/1inch piece fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1-2 green chillies, deseeded (if preferred) and finely chopped or 5ml/1tsp hot chilli sauce
- 45ml/3tbsp curry paste of your choice
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 5-10ml/1-2tsp white sugar
- 30ml/2tbsp tomato purée
- 75g/3oz peas (fresh or frozen)
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Large handful freshly chopped coriander, to garnish
Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and garlic over a low heat for 10 minutes or until soft and lightly golden.
Add the ginger, hot chilli sauce or fresh chillies and curry paste. Cook over a moderate heat for 1-2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the lamb and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the tomatoes, sugar, tomato purée and bring to the boil. Season, reduce the heat and cook uncovered for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a little water, if needed. During the last 5 minutes add the peas. Remove from the heat and stir through the herbs.
During the last 5 minutes add the peas. Remove from the heat and stir through the herbs.
Use as required or cool quickly, transfer into plastic container and freeze for up to 3 months.