Mini Teriyaki Beef Savouries with Sweet Pepper Relish
A quick appetiser using beef mince flavoured with teriyaki and Szechuan pepper and served with a sweet pepper relish.
- 450g/1lb lean beef mince
- 60ml/4tbsp teriyaki sauce
- 10ml/2tsp sesame oil, optional
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 5ml/1tsp szechuan peppercorns, crushed
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
For the Sweet Pepper Relish:
- 10ml/2tsp sunflower oil
- 2 small yellow peppers, cored, deseeded and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 x 120g sachets prepared lemon sauce or similar
- In a large bowl, mix together the mince, teriyaki sauce, sesame oil (if using), garlic, peppercorns and seasoning.
- Using slightly damp hands, divide the mixture into 20-25 small portions. Roll each portion into a sausage shape and mould around 20-25 small wooden (previously soaked in water) or metal skewers. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sweet pepper relish; heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the peppers and spring onions for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir through the lemon sauce. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the beef under a preheated moderate grill or on a prepared barbecue for 6-8 minutes on each side until cooked and any meat juices run clear.
- Serve the beef savouries on a bed of salad leaves with the sweet pepper relish.