Steak and Chips with Tangy Sauce
A quick midweek or weekend supper dish with a tangy homemade sauce with garlic, wine and masala.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 lean sirloin, rump, rib-eye or fillet steaks
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
For the Tangy Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 100ml Marsala or sweet sherry
- 100ml red wine
- 100ml good, hot beef stock or water
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Pinch dried chilli flakes, optional
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the garlic until soft, but not coloured. Add the Marsala or sweet sherry and red wine, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened. Stir in the stock or water, tomato purée and chilli flakes and seasoning, if required. Add the parsley or chives. Increase the heat and boil the sauce for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the steaks and cook according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce, chips and a side salad.