Steaks with Madeira and Mushroom Sauce
A classic steak dish featuring either sirloin, rump or rib-eye steaks with a Madeira wine and mushroom sauce that takes only 5-10 minutes to prepare. A fantastic recipe for two.
Based on a 2cm thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 2 sirloin, rib-eye, rump or centre cut steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 100g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 5 tablespoons good, hot beef stock
- 3 tablespoons Madeira wine
- 5 tablespoons double cream
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped chives
- Heat a large non-stick frying or griddle pan, season the steaks, brush with oil on both sides and cook according to your preference. Transfer to warm serving plates and cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- Reduce the heat under the pan and add the mushrooms. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock, increase the heat and boil for 3 minutes until slightly reduced. Add the wine and cream and reduce for a further 3-4 minutes until the sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in the chives.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce and seasonal vegetables.