Beef with Olives
A great steak dish using sirloin or rib eye steaks with a tomato and olive sauce made using store cupboard ingredients for a fast midweek meal.
Based on a 2cm/¾inch thick steak
To Cook Rare: 2½ minutes on each side
To Cook Medium: 4 minutes on each side
To Cook Well Done: 6 minutes on each side
- 4 lean sirloin or rib-eye steaks
- 30ml/2tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- Pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1 x 400g can cherry or plum tomatoes
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 12 pitted whole black olives, cut in half
- 15ml/1tbsp freshly chopped oregano
- Heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 5-8 minutes until soft.
- Add the chilli flakes, tomatoes and Worcestershire sauce, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until thick. Season if required. Remove from the heat and add the olives and oregano.
- Meanwhile, heat a non-stick griddle or frying pan, season the steaks and coat with the remaining oil on both sides. Cook the steaks according to your preference.
- Serve the steaks with the sauce, sauté potatoes and steamed broccoli with ginger.