Tip: The mainstay mince may be used in our suggested recipes, or freeze in batches and use as required in, for example, toasted cheese sandwiches, chilli con carne, as jacket potato and taco fillings and lasagne
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz lean beef mince
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 600ml/1pint good, hot beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 90ml/6tbsp tomato ketchup
- 45ml/3tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 15ml/1tbsp dried mixed herbs
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- Heat a large non-stick pan and dry fry the mince in batches for 5-7 minutes, breaking up any clumps with the back of a spoon.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes until fairly dry.
- Use as required.