Tip: The mainstay mince may be used in our suggested recipes, or freeze in batches and use as required in, for example, toasted cheese sandwiches, chilli con carne, as jacket potato and taco fillings and lasagne.
- 1.5kg lean beef mince-(5% fat)
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 600ml good, hot beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 6 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried mixed herbs
- Heat a large non-stick pan and dry fry the mince in batches for 5-7 minutes, breaking up any clumps with the back of a spoon.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 20-25 minutes until fairly dry.
- Use as required.