Spiced Lamb Meatballs with Tomatoes, Marjoram and Braised Potatoes
A spiced, warming, one pan supper for four. Lamb mince meatballs mixed with spices and currants and braised in wine with root vegetables, delicious lunch or supper dish.
For the Meatballs:
- 450g lean lamb mince
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teapoon juniper berries, crushed
- 1 sprig fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 3 tablespoons oil
For the Vegetable Braise:
- 2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 sticks of celery, finely diced
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 6 late season tomatoes quartered
- 150mlwhite wine
- 200ml good, hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 handful freshly chopped marjoram or parsley
- To prepare the meatballs, in a large bowl mix all the ingredients together. Shape the mixture into small balls the size of a walnut.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and cook the meatballs for 4-5 minutes until brown. Transfer to a plate and set aside. Preheat the oven to 190°C, 170°C Fan, Gas Mark 5.
- Increase the heat under the same pan and add the shallots, carrot, celery and potatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add the tomatoes.
- Add the wine and stock then transfer to a large casserole dish and add the meatballs.
- Cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Garnish with the marjoram or parsley and serve with a chicory and herb salad.